Enter your email address and press button to receive daily updates by email that include new articles posted at The Highlands Current. You will receive an email to confirm your subscription.
- Comment on Letters: Gun-Storage Proposal by Eric Erickson February 21, 2018"A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I wonder what they meant by "well-regulated"? What we have now is anything but.
- Comment on Beacon Fire Victims Stable by David Brower February 20, 2018Philipstown is in line with Beacon when it comes to a shortage of volunteer firefighters. As our population changes, and our young people leave, there are fewer people willing to take the training and time to help their community. There are many positions that don"t require intensive training. Please join your nearest fire department!
- Comment on Letters: Gun-Storage Proposal by Frank Haggerty February 19, 2018Connotations, and explicit references, to conditions and events elsewhere and under other circumstances could cloud the discussion and debate of the proposed local law. Hidden agendas and/or ill-defined associations might then come into play. Criminalizing X does not, in and of itself, make Y a crime. It might, however, make a further association of "cr […]
- Comment on Taxes in Philipstown by Site Editor February 19, 2018A correction regarding the farmland exemptions: These are not full exemptions but reduced. I had given the total of assessed value exemption at $4.4 million, or about $157,000 in taxes, for farms. In fact, there are 12 parcels in Philipstown that receive agricultural reductions for county, town and school taxes, that total $1.4 million, which translates to a […]
- Comment on Taxes in Philipstown by Patty Villanova February 19, 2018Thanks very much for this informative article which once again tells the truth about our outrageous property taxes. I find it amazing that some of the individuals named pay nearly as much in taxes as the Central Hudson utility company. Also surprising were the amounts granted for exemptions which are then paid for by the rest of the residents. People need to […]
- Comment on Letters: Gun-Storage Proposal by Rick Hagen February 19, 2018This world is full of weapons. It doesn't matter if you lock up every gun: people will find any way necessary to kill each other. If it wasn't guns, it would be bombs. It's scarier to think that, in my opinion. The right to choose is our right. What's next? Cars, food, house, how many kids we can have? Be careful when asking for new legis […]
- Comment on Letters: Gun-Storage Proposal by Lillian Rosengarten February 18, 2018In this climate of death from guns, it is irresponsible to ignore the rage and out-of-control gun use. Prayers are useless. Only gun control can change this climate of fear. How many children need to die for responsible gun control? Target shooting? Responsible gun use? This is based on self-interest and shows no concern for the climate of insanity that has […]
- Comment on Butterfield Beech Blues by Mark Galezo February 17, 2018Maintenance of the area immediately beneath the tree should have been a condition of the preservation plan, not simply fencing at the drip line. What had been manicured lawn for much of the tree's recent lifetime has become overgrown with woody weeds competing with the tree's roots for moisture and nutrients. Coupled with the droughts of the past c […]